You want to buy patterned wallpaper for the kitchen or living room, but are afraid that you will not be able to choose them correctly? We will answer the most important questions about this wallpaper.
Let’s talk about their types, durability, and texture and will advise on decorating the apartment or house with wallpaper!
How to Choose
Some types of patterned wallpaper you will like more, some less. But take your time! Remember that the wallpaper should be chosen within the chosen style.
Before buying, you should answer some questions:
- for which room wallpaper is bought: for kitchen, for children’s room, for living room, for hallway;
- in what style repairs will be made: classical, avant-garde, Scandinavian, minimalism, etc.;
- how much furniture you plan to put in the room;
- how are located doors and windows;
- it will be necessary to divide the room into thematic zones or not.
Then you need to take a tape measure, measure the height of the ceilings, the length of the walls, and the distance between them.
In large and spacious rooms with high ceilings, wallpaper with a large pattern looks good (the more space, the larger the central image can be).
For small rooms, are produced special wallpapers: watercolor, with soft graphics, that expanding the space, and imitating an additional interior, with a 3D effect.
Tip! Wallpaper with large flowers or with large buildings – a choice for large rooms. It is not very convenient to look at a large image up too close.
Art wallpapers are always in the center of attention. And it needs the appropriate design.
In addition to the wallpaper itself, you will need:
- frames (universal – white);
- a set of standard tools (tape measure, pencil, glue tray, roller, spatula, paint knife);
- elements of decor that will be able to emphasize the beauty of the new wall decoration (dishes with gold and patina, textiles with elements of the basic pattern).
Importantly! Be prepared: after you install new wallpaper on the wall, you will have to make adjustments to the lighting design, because art wallpaper often needs a certain type of lighting.
Sometimes designers advise buying expensive laminate and natural furniture for photo wallpaper. Indeed, the classic wallpaper looks good with natural parquet and expensive wooden furniture.
No money for all this? Don’t worry! Modern finishing materials can accurately mimic the texture of natural materials. And they are in several times cheaper!
Importantly! In fact, patterned wallpaper is designed to save money. They are a sign of modern and not overload interior details.
Art canvases can replace the excess of decorative things, themselves becoming decor.
How to Install Wallpaper
Photo- or patterned wallpaper – the same paper, only with a picture. It installed on the wall, using a simple and light algorithm.
How to install photo wallpaper step by step:
- prepare the wall (level, grind, prime);
- mark the surface under the drawing (you need to use a level to draw vertical and horizontal lines);
- dilute the glue (it must match the type of wallpaper purchased);
- apply glue mass on the wall (and/or on the canvas – if recommended by the manufacturer);
glue the wallpaper, carefully smooth, remove air bubbles.
Types of Wallpaper
- Non-woven wallpaper is easier to install.
- Vinyl wallpaper is more difficult to install due to its density.
- Paper wallpaper will be able to install even for a child, but this type of finishing will not be durable. And the wall under the paper should be perfectly flat.
Importantly! The difficulty is not the process of installing the patterned wallpaper, and the correct centering of the drawing.
Sometimes a large picture on the wallpaper consists of several pieces. And the joints between them must be invisible. It is difficult to achieve this without practical experience.
And one last tip: it is better to invite an experienced assistant. It is not necessary to carry out such responsible work independently!
Picture Credit: Unsplash