How to drill a hole in the wall correctly and safely?
Before you start drilling in a wall or ceiling, make sure that there are no live wires in the selected place or there are no steel elements in the wall – for example, reinforcing bars that can damage the drill. The drilling site is most conveniently with a special detector. Some drills have this device attached to the handle.
Mark the drilling place with a pencil. If you want to make several holes at the same height, put a long, more than a meter level or laser level to the wall and draw a line along it to mark the next drilling points;
Determine the diameter of the drill before drilling. Choose it for the diameter of the expansion plug, which will later be inserted into the hole, or for the diameter of another connector that does not require the use of a separate plug.
If you don’t want to spread dust when drilling, think about its absorber. It is a small gadget mounted on the wall under the drilled hole, which effectively catches dust generated during drilling. The dust container has enough capacity to drill about 10 typical holes. You can also buy it in the form of a specially shaped nozzle attached to the aforementioned vacuum cleaner. If you want to do it differently, you can help with a simple paper envelope. Stick it with adhesive tape just below the drilling point and spread it a bit. A pocket is created, into which dust will fall.
How to use the drill efficiently?
A good drill is the basic equipment of every DIY, but the key to successfully drilling a hole is drills. Well-chosen can not only significantly speed up work, but also make it much simpler, more convenient and requiring the use of less force.
Adjust the drill and drill operation to your needs:
- Wood – the most precise tools for drilling in wood are twist drills with a centering spike. They can be used to obtain holes of small and medium diameters – usually from 3 to 16 mm, although sometimes larger, up to 30 mm. It should be remembered that working with a drill over 12 mm wide requires much more skill and caution. The cutting resistance is much higher and the risk of tearing whole fibers and jars increases;
- Ceramics, glass, glazed materials – you will need a spade drill here. Once you have drilled it with e.g. a tile, you can then replace it with a traditional concrete drill and continue drilling;
- Concrete – diamond drill and drill mode advisable – impact. Drilling in hard material, with the pneumatic stroke on, do not force the drill strongly. You have to gently move it forward – the drill should do its job without your help;
- Metal – for work in this material, it is better to choose a universal drill, hss (made of high speed steel), cobalt, titanium and tapered.
- Large-diameter hole – you need to use a core drill bit, reminiscent of a wood hole saw, but with a much stronger structure and other blades;
- Shallow hole – use the drilling stop. It is a steel rod with a scale on the side, which is attached to the side of the drill, parallel to the drill. By moving it, the depth at which the drill will sink into the material is determined. The stop will not let him get in deeper.
How to replace a halogen or LED bulb?
Halogen bulbs (or LEDs) can have two types of mounting: MR16 halogen bulb – two rigid rods (wires), GU10 bulb – two pins with widening (so-called mushrooms).
Note: before replacing, make sure that the light source is disconnected from the power supply (if you are unsure – use the test lamp or disconnect the main power supply).
How do you remove the MR 16 halogen or LED bulb? If the bulb is in the ceiling eyelet, first remove the protection (wire / cotter pin) against the bulb falling out. Usually it should be squeezed from both sides. After bending it, the bulb should fall out and hang on the cord. After this step, pull out the light bulb. A new bulb should be inserted in the ceramic holder in the same way, then mounted in the eye and secured with a cotter pin that it will not fall out;
How to remove LED or halogen bulb with GU10 thread? Grip or press the lamp holder and turn the light bulb counterclockwise so that the bolts can escape. Similarly, insert a new bulb – attach it to the extended places in the lamp holder and turn this time in the opposite direction to the right in a clockwise direction.
Picture Credit: Pixabay